Responsible Service of Alcohol


It is a requirement in NSW to receive RSA training in the liquor industry if you intend on working in a licensed venue. If you are interested in working as a casual, part-time, full time or in any capacity at a licensed venue, then you must obtain an accredited RSA Certificate. The course is aimed to ensure that staff involved in the serving of alcohol have the knowledge and skills to ensure they are providing a safe and enjoyable environment for their patrons.

Where Can You Complete an RSA Certificate?

To make sure our visitors find an accredited training provider we have sussed out a few for you. We recommend you check out a particular training provider. Their RSA NSW Certification is the cheapest in NSW that we could find and completing the RSA Online has finally been approved by the NSW government so  Click here to Check out the training provider we recommend. They offer the course online so definitely check them out if you want to make sure you’re course is accredited by the necessary authorities.

If you want to complete your RSA through a face to face training provider then we have another training provider we can recommend to you. Alex Beaumont Hospitality College offer the RSA course in Sydney CBD, Parramatta & Campbelltown. They also offer heaps of other training in hospitality so click here to check them out.

RSA-NSW training must be done by an accredited trainer that is approved by The Casino, Liquor and Gaming Authority. The NSW Government does not accept any other certificate from any other state in Australia. Be careful of any training providers who claim NSW will accept a nationally recognized certificate or an interstate certificate. The NSW government will definitely not accept them. This is why we recommend the training provider above, because we have checked they are authorised by the necessary authorities and have visited their CBD location.

Why Do You Have To Complete An RSA-NSW Certificate?

It is imperative that employees in licensed venues have the knowledge of and understand the legal responsibilities associated with the service of alcohol. It aims to ensure that employees understand the following

  • Define a standard drinkRSA NSW
  • Understand the effects alcohol has on the body
  • Understand how alcohol affects the community
  • Prevention of intoxication of customers
  • Excessive consumption of alcohol
  • Recognition of intoxication of customers
  • How to deal with difficult or intoxicated patrons
  • Refusal of alcohol to minors
  • Importance of an RSA certificate

Who has to complete an

RSA Course?

RSA-NSW training applies to
  • *All staff involved in the sale, supply and service of alcohol, including any promotional staff hired by the venue.
  • *Security guards involved with crowd control
  • *Licensees
  • *Approved Managers
  • *Volunteers who have liquor service responsibilities

What Will An RSA-NSW Certificate Cost?

The cost of an RSA Certificate will vary between training providers. It is a competitive industry so you will generally pay between $110-$140. You must ensure that the training provider is accredited by the state you are wishing to work in, as some cheaper courses are often not accredited by the necessary authorities. Have a look around and compare prices between providers to ensure you get the best deal. There are many to choose from so do a little bit of research and make sure it suits your location, your price range and most importantly, ensure they are approved by the authorities to offer the course.

What Do You Do With Your RSA Certificate?

When you complete the RSA Certificate in NSW, you must retain the original certificate and provide a copy to the venue management. It is required by law that management keep a register of all staff employed on the premises and ensure they have a valid RSA certificate.

What If I Am Under The Age Of 18?

If you are under the age of 18, you can still do your RSA NSW Certification under certain conditions, however you can not work with alcohol in NSW until you are over the age of 18.


About Jaimee

Jaimee has spent several years in the hospitality industry, managing licensed venues on the Gold Coast in Queensland, Australia. She knows first hand the importance of staff and managers completing their RSA certificate. Please feel free to ask her any questions you have about working in the hospitality industry or about completing your RSA certification in any state within Australia.