RSA Certificate

RSA Certificate

In Australia, everyone who is associated and is working in the liquor industry is required to have an RSA Certificate.  All licensed bars, pubs and restaurants in most States inRSA Certificate Australia require all of their full time, part time and casual employees to take an RSA course and receive an RSA Certificate.

RSA or Responsible Service of Alcohol is an important and mandatory requirement that the Australian State Governments have put into place to aid with problems associated with excessive alcohol consumption in adults and youth.  An RSA certificate aim to assure the safety of every employee and staff who are dealing with alcohol.  RSA courses are available to provide them with the right knowledge about alcohol and also skills on how to handle various situations where alcohol is involved.  An RSA certificate signifies that the person has undergone full course training and is licensed to serve alcohol and work on licensed premises.

Where Can You Receive an

RSA Certificate?

There are many accredited RSA training providers in Australia where you are able to complete your RSA Certificate.  Upon choosing one, it is important that you know the necessary requirements of the specific state in Australia that you want to work in, since each state has their own set of requirements and most of the time, they also have their own different courses that they offer.  Your RSA certificate may end up useless if it is not accepted in the state you want to work in.

In order to help our regular visitors, we have managed to find training providers who are  government approved to offer an RSA certificate. We have found both face to face trainers and Online Training Providers for you who are the cheapest we could find online.  All of the RSA certificate training providers that we have listed on the left hand side of the page (just click on your city). They are located in great locations and deliver face to face training or you can complete your RSA Online and they offer some of the best prices we could find.  On the map below you can navigate through to your particular state, if you want to know more specific information on the requirements of your particular state.   We have provided as much information as we can to make it easier for you to get an RSA certificate.

RSA NT RSA QLD RSA Brisbane RSA NSW RSA Sydney RSA Canberra RSA Victoria RSA Melbourne RSA Adelaide RSA WA RSA Perth RSA Tasmania Image Map Image Map

Who Needs To Receive an RSA certificate?

The individuals who need to complete an RSA certificate depends on the state in which you live and want to work.   But generally, most people involved in the sale, supply and distribution of alcohol is required to have an RSA certificate, including those who work as a bar and floor staff, promotional staff who works on field, licensees, waiters and waitresses, security guards, managers, supervisors and those who are working as on the job trainees.

Why Do You Need to Receive an RSA Certificate?

RSA Certificates are issued to employers and staff dealing with alcohol to ensure their safety, as well as the safety of their patrons to minimize any issues or problems that may arise due to excessive alcohol intake.  All RSA courses were designed to educate them regarding alcohol and to train them on how to handle all kinds of situations that possibly occur due to alcohol consumption.  An RSA certificate signifies that the staff, worker or employer is fully aware of his or her legal responsibilities and obligations in regards to her field of work.  An RSA course is one day (6 hours) training that provides the right skills and knowledge on how to supply and serve alcohol in a responsible and controlled way.  There are also some specific topics that are discussed during the training such as:

  • • How to prevent alcohol toxicity
  • • Responsibilities of RSA
  • • Understanding the health effects of alcohol in the human body
  • • Knowledge of alcohol effects in the community
  • • What excessive alcohol consumption is
  • • Identification of the signs and symptoms of alcohol toxicity
  • • How to refuse alcohol to minors and patrons
  • • Benefits brought by an RSA Certificate
  • • How to deal with difficult to manage and intoxicated alcohol patrons

Can I still take complete the RSA certificate even if I am below 18 years of age?

Most states in Australia allow those under 18 years of age to take and RSA course and receive and RSA certificate.  However, not all states allow underage individuals to be employed and to serve liquor in any licensed premises.

Minors (those under 18 years) are not allowed to consume alcohol in licensed premises within any state of Australia.

About Jaimee

Jaimee has spent several years in the hospitality industry, managing licensed venues on the Gold Coast in Queensland, Australia. She knows first hand the importance of staff and managers completing their RSA certificate. Please feel free to ask her any questions you have about working in the hospitality industry or about completing your RSA certification in any state within Australia.